Friday, April 10, 2009

The "Happy" People...

From Monday, November 17, 2008

I have been very frustrated for the last couple of weeks. I have bee watching the backlash that followed the passing of proposition 8 in California. I can handle the persecution that my church is getting, I mean its kinda what we do. To top it all off I watched the latest Barbara Walters special "What is a man, what is a woman; The story of the pregnant man". I was disgusted. It pissed me off. Not because of these two people that wanted a family, not even because of the way they went about it, but because of what they were trying to change. For those of you that are not familiar with this story here is some background.
There is a "man"(quotations refer to my sarcastic use of the word) in Oregon that used to be a woman. "He" went through psychological screening and got "his" breasts removed and takes testosterone. "He" can brow a beard. "He" did not have a complete surgical transformation because "his" wife had previously had a hysterectomy and cannot have children and they wanted to have kids. So they decided that "he" would bare their children. They went to many doctors looking for one that would knock "him" up, but could not find one that would do it, they said they were discriminated against. So like everyone else in the world that can't find what they need they looked on the internet. They ordered sperm over the internet, I shit you not. Long story short it worked, "he" went through labor, "he" delivered vaginally.
I guess its that last part that started my frustration. "He delivered vaginally" are words that should never be put together. This is where my frustrations get wore. "He" was allowed to change his birth certificate, it states "he" is a male. How could a birth certificate be changed? Also, on the child's birth certificate "he" wants to be cited as the father. At least Oregon saw the irony and has yet to allow this, instead they are both listed as parent, as is the way they do it for civil unions.
During the show they stated many times a phrase that sent me over the edge. They stated that the words "male" and "female" are social stigmas and that gender does in no way define a person. This pissed me off because I believe that the fact that I am a man is a big part of who I am. I do not believe that these roles, man and woman, are just titles. I defiantly do not believe that they are social stigmas. I do not believe that a woman that decides that she wants to be a man can be a father. We are not blank slates when we are born. We all have a purpose, there is a reason that we are born the way we are. God does not make mistakes.
Please will someone tell me how the child of the "man", who is a woman, who is a "man" on paper, who gave birth, that is called "daddy", that is "married" to mommy, is supposed to understand any of this. Are my kids going to be forced into a world where this is okay? There are teachers that have begun to teach kindergartners these things. Why should I be told what my family and I have to accept. Marriage is a sacred covenant, a promise that we will get back home together. It was never meant to be the buffet it has become. It is unfortunate it has come to this. The sad thing is there is no real way that either side will back down on this issue, on one side you have beliefs and on the other you have those saying they have a right. When did marriage become a right? My opinion is that marriage is between a man and a woman. Marriage is a sacred thing and those that would destroy it will be destroyed. This whole argument diminishes what I am, and what I want for my family. Yet, those that argue for the other side say that I and those that would fight against them do not have the right to defend our beliefs. This argument is the beginning of the end, the Lord is coming soon and the fight has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment